Insure yourself against the Jersey bad weather

Storm and flood damage insurance in Jersey, Channel Islands

From flash flooding to heatwaves, the weather is getting more and more unpredictable. And, whilst we all dream of long, balmy summer days these come hand in hand with colder winters making global warming a big threat.

If you are unfortunate enough to have experienced storm or flood damage to your building, then you will know just how distressing it can be. But providing you have adequate buildings and contents insurance in Jersey; the damage can be repairable.

At Jersey Mutual we will work with you to ensure that your repairs are carried out and that your house is back to normal in no time at all.

Storm damage insurance

When storms strike, they can cause serious damage to the structure and contents of your home. Depending on the severity of the storm, they can cause relatively small problems, such as slipped roof tiles, to bigger issues including structural damage caused by falling debris.

As long as you can prove that it is the weather that has caused the destruction to your property, rather than it being the result of general wear and tear, then most insurers are happy to pay out for storm damage repairs.

At Jersey Mutual we insure against all kinds of weather damage such as storm, tempest and flooding, with the exclusion of frost. And providing your building is in a good general state of repair and made from incombustible materials such as concrete, brick, stone or slate, then we will even arrange for the repairs to be undertaken and cover the costs once the policy excess has been paid (with the exclusion of gates, fences and hedges).

If your property’s contents are damaged during a storm, then you should make a claim under your contents insurance. Making life simpler for all, we protect both your property and possessions in one policy thanks to our Jersey Mutual House and Home Insurance.

Flood damage insurance

Most weather related claims are made due to flooding. Severe downpours can cause flash floods and chaos to all that stands in its way.

Most buildings insurance, including Jersey Mutual, will cover you for certain types of flooding as standard. This tends to relate to flooding caused by extreme rainwater or for example, a sudden burst pipe. Depending on the policy, however, it is unlikely that you will be covered for flood destruction or damage if it has been caused by the escape of water from the normal confines of any artificial watercourse, lake, reservoir, canal or dam.

Just like storm damage, you also need to ensure that your contents are covered too, in order to protect your possessions against flood damage inside the home.
Separate flood insurances are available to those who are considered to be in high risk areas, and in fact some mortgage providers may insist upon you taking them out.

As flooding can be a tricky area which varies from policy to policy, we recommend checking your insurance documents thoroughly so that you are well aware of which incidents of water damage are covered under your homeowners insurance policy.

Why your insurance company won’t pay out

In some cases, your insurer may refuse to pay out for a weather-related home insurance claim. The main reason being that the homeowner themselves have failed to maintain their property to a sufficient standard.

It tends to be less about the type of water damage, but rather why the damage occurred in the first place. For example, blocked gutters and broken downpipes can all contribute to water damage to your property, which are then made worse by extreme weather conditions.

The general rule of thumb tends to be that if the water damage was caused by poor maintenance or general wear and tear then you will not be covered, because as a homeowner, the onus is on you to keep your property well-maintained.

Protecting your property against bad weather

There are plenty of measures you can take to protect your property against the elements. These include:

  • Checking and repairing any loose roof tiles.
  • Fixing broken fences or walls in case they get blown over during high winds.
  • Clearing gutters and drains from leaves, debris, critters and creatures.
  • Trimming trees and hedges located close to the house.
  • Securing windows and doors if a storm is expected.
  • Storing outdoor items away or firming affixing them to the ground.
  • Ensuring that all pipes are well insulated and protected.
  • Preventing pipes from freezing by putting the heating on regularly.

Jersey Mutual can help

At Jersey Mutual we offer a comprehensive House and Home policy for those living on the Channel Islands that insures you against both weather-related destruction and flood damage.

If you do find yourself in the unfortunate situation of having to contact us for assistance, then we will send out a surveyor to assess the damage and determine the scale of repairs. Whether it is storm, tempest or flood damage, it is important that the cause is ascertained as quickly as possible. We can also help arrange alternative accommodation and provide a list of recommended tradesmen to make the process as stress-free as possible.

To find out more about our House and Home Insurance in Jersey, please contact us today.

Tell us how can we protect you today…

    This form collects your name and telephone number so that we can assist you with your enquiry. Please read our privacy policy to learn more on how we protect and manage your submitted data.

    I consent to Jersey Mutual Insurance Society collecting my name and telephone number